Idli is the south Indian delicacy. It is fluffy steamed cake made out of fermented rice and lentils and is mostly made up of rice. Therefore today we are making idli with rice. South Indian people are fond of it. It can be eaten as a snack as well as in breakfast. Idli recipe is very simple.
It is eaten with sambar and coconut chutneys. It will take you 8 hours to prepare the batter. Don’t worry you just have to keep it aside and do your other works. And then you will need 20 minutes more to cook it. So a total of 8 hours and 20 minutes is required to complete this recipe. Click the sambar text below to get sambar recipe:-
½ cup urad dal
1½ cups idli rice
¾ to 1 cup chilled water (for grinding dal)
¾ cup water (for grinding rice)
½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
2 tablespoons thick poha (flattened rice)
Preparation of idli recipe :-
- Add urad-dal & methi seeds to a bowl. Then add rice to another bowl.
- Until water runs clear wash them separately. Soak them separately in water for at least 6 hrs.
- After the above process rinse and soak poha with ¼ cup water for about 30 mins before blending.
How to make idli batter for the idli recipe :-
- Thereafter 6 hours, drain the water from both the bowls.
- Then add dal, methi, soaked poha, salt and ¾ cup water to a blender jar. You may need another 2 to 4 cups water while blending.
- Skip adding salt now if you are from a hot climate and add it just before making idli otherwise the batter turns sour.
- Then, blend all of them till thick, smooth, bubbly & frothy. The idli batter should not turn hot or even warm as it makes dense idli.
- After this transfer urad dal batter to a large bowl.
- Then add rice to the blender with water and grind to a little coarse batter. And then pour this to the dal batter and mix both of them well with your clean hands. The batter must be thick like pouring consistency.
Making the batter fluffy :-
- Take and set the batter aside in a warm place for at least 8 to 14 hrs. Then batter ferments and rises well to double quantity. Sometimes it may take long time depending on the weather and temperature.
- If you are from cold country then, keep it in the oven with the light bulb on. Wait for 5 mins and then keep the batter inside.
- Fermented batter will give good soft idli. The batter must rise and look fluffy but not turn sour.
Cooking the idli :-
- In an idly steamer or a pressure cooker heat it on a high flame, bring water to a boil in it.
- Meanwhile grease your idly plates lightly. Then mix the idli batter gently for 1 to 2 times only. Fill the molds with batter.
- When the water begins to bubble and steam up, place the stand in the steamer. Cover and steam for exactly 10 mins on a high flame.
- As the time past as given turn off and wait for 2 mins. Then remove the idly stand and set aside to cool down for 2 to 3 mins. After cooling it the idli must not be wet on top.
- Remove the idlis to a plate with the help of a spoon and then serve idlis with a chutney or sambar.