Veg biryani is a very delicious recipe and very easy to make. It is loaded with veggies, crunchy cashews, warm spices like saffron, herbs like cilantro and mint. It can also be called pulao. Because the authentic biryani have meat in it. It will take some more time to cook but i can promise you that it will very delicious.
It will take 20 minutes for preparation and 50 minutes more to cook it. So you will require 1 hour and 10 minutes in order to complete this recipe. Once you get perfect in it you will love to cook it. It is a simple process. So let’s start.
- 1.5 teaspoon biryani masala
- 1/2 teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1.5 teaspoon rose water or kewra water
- 1 cup basmati rice 200 grams, soaked in 3 cups (24 oz) water for 30 minutes
- 6 whole green cardamom divided
- 4 cloves divided
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1.5 tablespoon +1 teaspoon ghee divided
- 2 medium red onion thinly sliced, divided
- 2 tablespoons broken cashews
- 1 small potato cubed
- 1/2 cup cauliflower florets medium sized florets
- 1.5 tablespoons oil 22 ml
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds I used shahi jeera
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole black peppercorns
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 medium carrot cut diagonally
- 5-6 green beans cut diagonally
- 2 tablespoons milk 30 ml
- saffron strands generous pinch
- 1 inch ginger crushed
- 4-5 large garlic cloves crushed
- 2 green chilies crushed
Instructions for veg biryani recipe:-
Cook the rice:-
- In 3 cups of water soak the rice for 30 minutes. After the rice has soaked, drain the water using a colander.
- Take a pot full of water and heat it, add 3 green cardamom, 2 cloves and 3/4 teaspoon salt to it. Let it come to a boil. Add rice and stir it with a spoon.
- After this let it cook uncovered until it’s almost cooked but not fully cooked. There should be a bite to it. This takes around 6 to 7 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and drain rice in a colander. You may add a teaspoon of ghee to the rice. Set it aside.
To caramelize onion & cashews and pan fry the veggies :-
- Take a pan and heat 1/2 tablespoons ghee on medium heat. Once it gets hot, add 1 sliced onion to it and cook until they turn golden brown and caramelize.
- This will take around 8 to 9 minutes. Remove all the contents on a plate.
- To the same pan, now add cashews and cook until golden brown, around 1 to 2 minutes. Remove on plate and set aside.
- Add potato to it, and cook for 2 minutes until it gets light brown. Remove it on a plate.
- Now add cauliflower, beans and carrots. Then saute all the contents for 2 to 3 minutes until veggies appear light brown. Remove on a plate.
To make the saffron-milk and cook the vegetables :-
- Take a pan and heat 2 tablespoons milk. Once it gets warm, add saffron strands .Let it sit for 10 minutes for that beautiful yellow color. Saffron milk is ready and set it aside.
- Crush ginger, garlic and chili and pestle then set it aside.
- Heat 1.5 tablespoons oil in a pan on medium heat. Add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, peppercorns, remaining 3 cardamom and remaining 2 cloves.
- Stir and let the spices sizzle for few seconds. Add the sliced onions also add 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Then cook it for 3 to 4 minutes until onions turn light brown. After this add the crushed ginger-garlic and green chilies paste. Cook for 2 minutes until the raw smell goes away.
- After this remove pan from heat and whisk in the yogurt, whisking continuously until it’s all absorbed. Put the pan back on heat and then add all the veggies and toss to combine.
- Then add the biryani masala and kashmiri red chili powder.
- Add 1/4 cup water. Let it cook for around 6 to 7 minutes until veggies are almost cooked but not overcooked. They should be firm to bite.
- You should cover the pan, I usually cook uncovered. There shouldn’t be much water left, it should be kind of thick mixture.Remove from heat.
Final process to prepare the biryani :-
- Now take a heavy pan. First grease the bottom of the pan with ghee. And then add a layer of rice (half of the rice). Top with half of fried onion, half of fried cashews and half of cilantro and mint. Add 1/2 teaspoon of rose water. Now place the veggies on top (all of it).
- And then add another rice layer on top of the veggies. After this top it with remaining with fried onion, cashews, cilantro and mint. Add the prepared saffron milk and the remaining 1 teaspoon rose water on top.
- Then finally drizzle 1 teaspoon ghee on top. Sprinkle some biryani masala on the top. If your pan in small you may do more layers, but the end layer should always be of rice.
- Finally cover the pan tightly with aluminium foil. Then cover with a fitted lid. Take a flat pan and heat it on medium heat. Once hot, reduce the flame to lowest. Place your biryani pot on top of the pan and let it cook for 25 to 30 minutes on lowest heat .
- Take out the biryani from the bottom of the pan so that each serving has veggies and rice. So that’s all veg biryani recipe.