Pongal is a popular south indian savoury and spicy dish, made from moong dal, rice and other spices. Its recipe is very simple to make. Pongal recipe is normally made on the auspicious occasion of pongal. Pongal is served with sambar and other coconut chutneys. If you want to know how to make sambar you can search on our website.
Its origin is based on the states of Tamil Nadu. Pongal is also eaten in the Kerala another Indian state which is the neighboring sister of Tamil Nadu. So lets make pongal and eat with delicacy. You will need 5 minutes for the preparation and another 20 minutes to cook it. So in total you will need 25 minutes to cook it.
- 1 inch finely chopped ginger
- 2 chilli
- 2 tbsp ghee or clarified butter
- 10 halves cashew or kaju
- A pinch hing or asafoetida
- 1 tsp cumin or jeera
- ½ tsp pepper which should be crushed
FOR PRESSURE COOKING:
- 1 tsp ghee or clarified butter
- 4 cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- Another ½ cup rinsed rice
- At last ½ cup rinsed moong dal
Pongal recipe :-
- In a pressure cooker heat 1 tsp ghee or clarified butter.
- Then add ½ cup rice and ½ cup moong dal in the pressure cooker and saute for a minute.
- Further, add 4 cup water and ½ tsp salt And mix it well.
- Cover the pressure cooker and cook for 5 whistles on medium flame.
- As the pressure settles down then open the cooker and mix all the contents well.
- Then take a pan and heat 2 tbsp ghee.
- Add 1 tsp cumin, ½ tsp pepper, 1 inch ginger, 2 chilli, 10 cashew and pinch of hing in the pan.
- Saute all the contents on low flame until the kaju turns golden brown.
- Then pour the tadka over cooked rice and dal mixture.
- Mix them well and add more ghee if required.
- Then finally, serve pongal with coconut chutney and sambar whatever you want.