Poha is one of the favorite breakfast in the whole India.Its recipe is very easy to make. It has its origin in the western state of India known as Maharashtra. Normally people call it as KANDA POHA in Maharashtra. It is prepared with flattened rice and famous indian spices with vegetables.
This is a very fast recipe. We only need 10 minutes to prepare for this recipe and another 10 minutes to cook it. Thus most of the office going bachelors can cook it as their breakfast. So what are you waiting for lets get started.
- 1.5 cups poha or 114 grams
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1.5 tablespoons raw peanuts
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon salt divided, adjust to taste
- 1/3 cup green peas I used frozen, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes
- 2 teaspoons oil 10 ml, I used avocado oil
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar optional
INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE POHA RECIPE :-
- Add flattened rice (poha) to a strainer and then rinse it under running water until it turns soft.
- In order to check if it’s done, press a flake between your thumb and index finger, it should break easily.
- Then add turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the poha and mix them well. Set it aside.
- Take a pan and heat it with medium flame and put some oil in it. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and let them pop.
- After this add the peanuts to it and saute for one minute or two until they start turning brown.
- After they turned brown add the chopped onion, green chili and curry leaves. Cook until the onions soften.
- Then add the green peas (which had been soaked in warm water for 10 minutes prior) and mix. Cook for raw smell of peas goes away.
- Then add in the rinsed poha and mix it well. Taste some poha and if it feels dry, sprinkle little water all over. Again cook for 1-2 minutes. Also tastes and add more salt as needed at this point .Also add the sugar (if using) and cilantro to it.
- After this cover the pan with a lid and turn heat to low. Then turn off the heat after 2 minutes.
- For garnishing squeeze some fresh lemon juice to the recipe and also garnish poha with more cilantro.
Also visit this recipes:-