Khichdi recipe is one of the most demanding recipe in Indian. This food is very nutritious therefore in India when anyone gets ill then doctor recommends them to eat khichdi to recover from the illness. It is prepared with moong which is a lentil along with rice as their base ingridients.
Normally you can make this recipe at home and can eat it. The recipe given below id very delicious and tasty. So what are you waiting for lets get started with the time required and the ingredients.
Time Required And Ingredients :-
Total cooking time is 40 minutes in which 10 minutes is used for preparing all the required ingredients while the other time is used for cooking the recipe.
- 3.5 cups water – for a more thin consistency, add 4 to 4.5 cups water
- 1.5 tablespoon oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- salt as required
- ½ cup moong dal (split and husked mung lentils)
- ½ cup rice – you can add any rice, regular short or medium grained rice
- 1 small to medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato – chopped
- ½ inch ginger – finely chopped or grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 small green mirch – chopped
Instructions (For Khichdi Recipe) :-
- Rinse and wash moong lentils.
- Also rinse and wash rice.
- Soak both of them for 30 minutes in water.
Cooking the base for the khichdi :-
- In a pressure cooker heat 2 tbsp ghee or oil in pressure cooker. And then add cumin to it. When cumin splutters then add onions in the pressure cooker.
- Thus, saute onions till translucent. Their is no need to make onions light brown or golden brown.
- Once the onions become translucent, then add tomatoes, green chili and ginger.
- And then stir and add turmeric powder and asafoetida(hing) . Then saute till the tomatoes gets softens.
- From the prepared moong lentils and rice drain the rice and moong lentils and add them to the pressure cooker.
- After this stir for a minute. Pour with water and season with salt.
- After preparing the base close the lid tightly and pressure cook on a high flame for 6-7 whistles.
- Open the lid and check it , if it had become too thick, then add some water and stir well.
- Keep on sim or low flame to simmer till you get the right consistency.
- As per your choice the consistency of khichdi can be adjusted as per your choice by adding less or more water.
- After this, once it is cooked then top it with ghee while serving. This is an optional step.
- That’s it now serve moong dal khichdi hot and tasty.
Credits :- Veg recipes of India
Also check this :-