Rajma is specifically a gravy based recipe. It is a popular north indian or punjabi curry recipe made with kidney beans and indian spices. The gravy is mostly eaten with jeera rice or roti or chapati. The combination of rajma and rice is the staple food for many north indian families.
History and significance :-
The roots of the rajma curry is based on the Indian state of Punjab. It is mostly eaten in northern parts of India. Also it is the staple food for some of the families present in northern India. The rajma recipe is very tasty to eat and also very easy to prepare. It is a rich source of proteins and nutrients. Most of the Indians eats with rice which is called as rajma chawal. It can be served at any time either lunch, dinner or at evening.
If the kidney beans are already soaked it will take you 10 minutes for preparation and 30 minutes for cooking the whole recipe. Therefore it is a very fast recipe if you are in a hurry. So what are you waiting for just get ready with all the things required and make tasty and delicious rajma recipe at home.
Ingredients Required for rajma recipe :-
FOR PRESSURE COOKING:
- 1 cup rajma,
- 1 bay leaf,
- 1 black cardamom,
- 1 tsp salt,
- 4 cup water
- 2 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 cup tomato pulp
- 1 tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 5 cloves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 chilli, slit
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder,
- 1 tsp coriander powder,
- 1 tsp kasuri methi,
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp aamchur / dry mango powder,
- ½ tsp garam masala,
- ½ tsp salt
Steps to make rajma at home :-
- Soak 1 cup of rajma for 12 hours with any of the suitable vessels that you have.
- After 12 hours, clear all the water out of the vessel and pour the rajma in the pressure cooker.
- Add 1 tbsp salt, 1 cardamom, 1 bay leaf and 4 cups of water for the kidney beans/rajma to get cooked.
- Then up to 6 whistles cook it inside the pressure cooker. But still if the rajma is hard you can again cook it until it gets soft.
- In a pan with high flame put 1 tbsp ghee, 1 tbsp cumin, 1 inch cinnamon and 5 cloves to get the richness of the spice in the food or curry. Then add onion to it and saute them well.
- Then add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste and 1 chili and then saute all the contents well till the colour of the onions turns to golden.
- Blend 3 tomatoes in the blender in order to make a smooth puree and then add it to the pan and mix well with the contents.
- Cover the lid of the pan and cook until the tomatoes puree get thickened.
- Until the oil separates stir the contents of the pan.
- Then keeping the flame on low add ¼ tsp turmeric, 1 tbsp chilli powder, 1 tbsp coriander powder, ½ tbsp cumin powder, ½ tbsp aamchur, ½ tbsp garam masala and ½ tsp salt. Saute it so that the spices turn aromatic.
- Then add the cooked rajma and mix it well. Cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes or until the curry thickens.
- Further add 1 tsp kasuri methi, 2 tbsp coriander and mix well. And then serve it and enjoy.
- Soak the rajma at least for 8 hours, or it will take a long time to cook.
- Also, simmer the curry for at least 15 minutes to absorb all the flavors present .
- Then, rajma recipe tastes great when prepared slightly creamy.
All the images above are from Hebbars kitchen.