Pav bhaji is a well know Indian recipe. It is mostly eaten in the western part of India or more precisely in Maharashtra. It consists of spicy vegetable mash and soft buns. This dish is served with generous amount of butter on the top as well as some freshly chopped onions and lemon juice. It is a great snack to eat and is good for people who want to taste different flavors of Indian recipe.
Mostly the street sellers use potatoes and onions and avoid vegetables like cauliflower as it is a little bit expensive. But as we are making in home we will try to make the most out of it. The basic ingredients for the recipe is almost the same. You can use any of the Pav Bhaji masala available in the market in order to use it in recipe.
Importance of Pav Bhaji in India
Also this is the most famous street food in Maharashtra. Thus you will love it when you will eat it for sure. The popularity of this food is so much that big personalities also comes onto the street just to eat it. It is a veg food and the recipe is easy to understand thus any beginner can also make it out. Also to make the most out of it try to make it as given throughout the recipe.
To make this Pav bhaji recipe you will need 40 minutes of time. 10 minutes will be used to prepare all the ingredients and then next 30 minutes will be used to make the Pav Bhaji. This recipe is a very short recipe yet it is very tasty to eat. You will definitely love this.
INGREDIENTS FOR PAV BHAJI RECIPE
- 1 tsp + ½ tsp pav bhaji masala
- 1 tbsp + 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tomato, finely chopped
- 2 potato, boiled & mashed
- ¼ cup peas or matar
- ½ capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- Water to adjust consistency
- 1 tsp + ¼ tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric or haldi
- ½ lemon juice
- 1 tsp + 1 tsp kasuri methi or dry fenugreek leaves
- 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 drops red food colour, optional
TO TOAST PAV:
- 4 tsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 4 tsp butter
- 8 pav or bread roll
- ½ tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp pav bhaji masala
Steps to make Pav Bhaji :-
- Firstly, in a large kadai heat 1 tbsp butter and add 3 tomato, ¼ cup peas,½ capsicum, 2 boiled potato and ½ tsp salt. saute for 2 minutes also, add ½ cup water and mix well.
- Boil all the contents with covering it with a lid.
- Now mash all the contents and make a well prepared puree.
- No mash should be there after mashing all the contents.
- Now add ¼ tsp turmeric, 1 tsp pav bhaji masala, 1 tsp kasuri methi, 1 tsp chilli powder, and 2 tbsp coriander leaves.
- Make sure the spices are well mixed by saute all the contents well.
- Move all the contents to the edges of the pan in order to make some space in the middle.
- Heat a tbsp of butter and add 1 tsp kasuri methi, ¼ tsp red chilli powder, ½ tsp pav bhaji masala.
- Also add 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste, 1 onion, ½ lemon juice and 1 tbsp coriander leaves.
- Make sure all the onions are cooked well by sauté and then add 3 drops of red food colour in order to make it look good. And then mix them well.
- Also add ½ cup of water in order to adjust the consistency. And then boil and mash it until it becomes silky and and smooth.
- Now the bhaji is ready. Then take it aside and take another pan or in the same pan heat ½ tbsp. of butter and then add a pinch of chilli powder, Pav bhaji masala and 1 tsp coriander leaves and mix it well to make taste good.
- Now take a Pav and split in into two parts from the middle horizontally. And then roast it using spice butter.
- Roast both the sides of the pav and then serve Pav bhaji on a plate with some chopped onions, coriander, lemon and a little bit of butter on the middle of the bhaji.
Extra points to note:-
First of all if are in a diet don’t use this much of butter.
You can add a lot of veggies to it to make it more nutritious.
Keep in mind that this recipe tastes the best when it is served hot.
You can also make it with cooker yet we have used pan in the instructions given above.
All the images used above are taken from a blog named Hebbars Kitchen.
And stay tuned with our website to get the best Indian recipes.